Completed in 1959, Ellis Hall was the first building on campus named for a person. It was named to honor Dr. Roy Ellis, who served as president of the college from 1926 to 1961. At the time of his retirement, Dr. Ellis had been a college president longer than any other person in the United States. Ellis Hall, located at 901 S. National, is a four-story structure that serves as the Music Department's home. On the first level are faculty studios, practice rooms, a rehearsal room, and a 17-station class piano lab. The second floor contains the administrative offices, more faculty studios, the Fite Family Computer Assisted Instruction Classroom, the Missouri State Music Library, and a 250-seat recital hall with a 40-rank Canadian-built Casavant pipe organ that was installed when Ellis Hall was constructed. All concerts/recitals since 1988 have been archived on DAT in the recital hall's recording facility. The third floor contains the Music Library's Listening Lab, which features student access to all types of audio media and computers with instructional, notational, printing, and MIDI capabilities.
Address: 907 S National Ave Springfield, MO 65897
Building abbreviation: ELLS